For their next game, United hosted Chelsea. In Premier League Il Manchester United arriva secondo (83 punti) dietro al Chelsea (91 punti), accedendo alla fase a gironi della Champions League. The Reds then set off to North America for their pre-season tour, taking part in the ChampionsWorld Series. Following a 2–1 home win over Portsmouth, with Wayne Rooney scoring a brace, United travelled to Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace in the next game, played on 5 March. United played their first home game in the group on 28 September, against Fenerbahçe. United fielded a weakened side, but Conference Exeter matched the FA Cup holders to set up a lucrative replay. The game ended 0–0. Darren Fletcher slid the ball in after nine minutes when Mark Schwarzer was only able to parry a cross from Ryan Giggs. United hosted West Bromwich Albion in their next game, played on 7 May 2005. The 2008–09 season was Manchester United's 17th season in the Premier League, and their 34th consecutive season in the top division of English football.After winning a third consecutive Premier League title for the second time to equal Liverpool's record of 18 league titles, the team aimed to become the first team to retain the European Cup since Milan in 1990. John O'Shea put the defending champions in front after 10 minutes from close range. Send iframe inquiry In the fifth round, Manchester United were paired with fellow FA Premier League side Everton. Visit ESPN to view Manchester United squad and player information from all competitions, along with a season-by-season archive. Palace keeper Gábor Király saved well from Van Nistelrooy either side of the interval, and the Dutchman also wasted two great chances late on. Cristiano Ronaldo scored the opener, slipping the ball between Paul Jones' legs after just nine minutes. Like the Bayern game, the game against Milan ended in a draw, after Andriy Shevchenko cancelled out Paul Scholes' early goal. He side-footed straight at goalkeeper Maik Taylor from only six yards as he raced on to Quinton Fortune's cross. United won 1–0, thanks to David Bellion's very early strike. But Van Nistelrooy scored from the spot after Shay Given fouled Paul Scholes and then Rooney slotted home from close range to seal victory. Meanwhile, Poborský was sent off late in the game for picking up two yellow cards. England - Manchester United FC - Results, fixtures, squad, statistics, photos, videos and news - Soccerway This result left United hanging just above the relegation zone in 17th place. Alan Smith equalised for United with a header from a corner kick, but Craig Beattie scored the winner for Celtic after Roy Keane lost possession. Hoult, who suffered a groin injury, was replaced by Tomasz Kuszczak, who made a string of outstanding saves. Ryan Giggs superbly chipped in to give the Red Devils hope, but Damien Duff's 50-yard free-kick, intended as a cross, broke United's hearts and sent Chelsea through to the final. Van Nistelrooy pounced to nod home an Alan Smith cross to put United ahead and results elsewhere ensured the Saints finished bottom of the division. On a more positive note for the club, newly signed 19-year-old striker and leading club goalscorer Wayne Rooney was voted PFA Young Player of the Year. Ryan Giggs put United ahead with a free-kick after 20 minutes, fired past injured keeper Russell Hoult. Der britische Newcomer hat sich dadurch offenbar auf die Liste einiger Schwergewichte aus der Premier League gespielt. Alan Smith lashed in United's equaliser, but within three minutes Reyes drove home a fierce left-foot shot to restore Arsenal's lead. Substitute Rooney was also denied by Király as Palace somehow held on. After the 2–1 loss against Celtic, United played their final game of the tour against Milan in New York City. The return game against Sparta came two weeks later at Old Trafford. Lyon were in command at half-time, with United goalkeeper Tim Howard gifting them the lead after 34 minutes by dropping Juninho's free-kick for Cris to score. United's next game was a home game against Arsenal. Two days later, United were scheduled to play their final game, against Urawa Red Diamonds, but it was indefinitely postponed due to an electrical storm. United captain Roy Keane took advantage of poor defending to put United ahead (his 50th goal for the Red Devils), before Wayne Rooney coolly chipped in to seal the victory. The game ended 2–2. David Unsworth put them ahead from the spot after Rio Ferdinand tugged back Ricardo Fuller in the area. United played a home tie with fellow FA Premier League club and rivals Arsenal in the fifth round. United won 1–0, thanks to Wayne Rooney's 21st-minute goal. If Bolton were able to disrupt United's attacking rhythm for long periods, they proved less successful in troubling Roy Carroll, who had to make just one save. A terrible blunder by Gunners keeper Manuel Almunia saw Bellion's weak shot squirm in after a Johan Djourou slip had gifted possession to Bellion. For their next game, Manchester United travelled to The Valley to face Charlton Athletic. The first leg in Romania took place on 11 August 2004, with the second leg at Old Trafford being played a fortnight later. But another header from Silvestre secured three points for United, as the Frenchman powered a header past Jerzy Dudek to complete his brace and give United the win. Marcus Bent missed Everton's best chance when Roy Carroll, who was later struck by a missile, saved at his feet. The Baggies began confidently, but were rocked by first-half injuries to Darren Moore and Cosmin Contra, forcing Bryan Robson into a double change. Alan Smith scored the winner in the 49th minute on his home debut for the Red Devils with a volley that added to David Bellion's close-range finish in the 32nd minute that was set up by Smith. The 2004–05 season was Manchester United's 13th season in the Premier League, and their 30th consecutive season in the top division of English football.[1]. United were shut out for the second successive Premier League game by a resolute and determined City side, who offered little of an attacking threat. Saha took two Palace defenders out of the game when he chested down Quinton Fortune's cross before drilling home a low near-post drive. It also helped Van Nistelrooy avenge the taunts from Arsenal players after he missed a last-minute spot-kick in the corresponding fixture last season. The result meant that Manchester United ended their pre-season tour of the United States without a win. United had laid siege to the home side's goal early on but Pompey survived and hit back after the break. Coming in were Spanish defender Gerard Piqué, Italian striker Giuseppe Rossi, and English forward Wayne Rooney. Villa pressed after the break and Gareth Barry came close, but Alan Smith hit the bar in the final minute. United won 4–2. Penalties were required, with United losing again, this time 9–8. Smith, Heinze, Piqué, Rossi and Rooney were United's only arrivals in the whole of the 2004–05 season. United struggled to build on the platform of their early goal, Paul Scholes making the game safe with a low shot. With time running out, Wes Brown's winner provided another surprise - it was his first goal in 117 league games. The Icelandic striker took advantage of a weak challenge by United goalkeeper Tim Howard to scramble home the winner after 14 minutes. However, another two goals for Van Nistelrooy secured the victory as he equalled a club record for the most goals in a European match jointly held by Denis Law and Dennis Viollet. Late on Giggs wrapped up the points when he pounced on Eric Djemba-Djemba's pass, got in front of Gareth Southgate, before poking the ball past Schwarzer. Chris Sutton gave Celtic an early lead with a penalty after Jonathan Spector fouled Stiliyan Petrov. United opened 2005 with a 2–0 away win over Middlesbrough on New Year's Day. United laboured to break down a stubborn Southampton defence in a goalless first half. Manchester United Football Club is a professional football club based in Old Trafford, Greater Manchester, England, that competes in the Premier League, the top flight of English football.Nicknamed "the Red Devils", the club was founded as Newton Heath LYR Football Club in 1878, changed its name to Manchester United in 1902 and moved to its current stadium, Old Trafford, in 1910. Two days after the league campaign started, United played their final friendly, a trip to Lancashire rivals Burnley for Stan Ternent's testimonial. After a 1–1 draw against Fulham, next up against United were Crystal Palace, who travelled to Old Trafford to face United on 18 December 2004. United then almost won in the dying seconds as a Gabriel Heinze free-kick was brilliantly saved by Paul Robinson. The game also meant United finished in third for the second season running. The win helped United reduce the gap on Premier League leaders Arsenal to eight points. The Reds then set off to North America for their pre-season tour, taking part in the ChampionsWorld Series.Their first match, played at the Soldier Field in Chicago, United States against Bayern Munich. Departing during the winter transfer window were midfielders Bojan Djordjic and Eric Djemba-Djemba who left for Rangers and Aston Villa respectively. City survived some erratic handling from David James, while Louis Saha scorned United's best chance, heading wide from six yards. Almost a fortnight later, Nicky Butt left United for Newcastle United after twelve years. On 20 April, United travelled to Goodison Park to face Everton. Norwich substitute Paul McVeigh pulled a goal back late on when he shot home from 18 yards out but United held on. United got their first win of the season with a 2–1 win against Norwich City at Old Trafford. After Cristiano Ronaldo hit the post early on, Mikaël Silvestre gave United the lead, ghosting in at the far post to head home Ryan Giggs' free kick. The game, played on 8 January 2005, ended 0–0, with Exeter producing a magnificent rearguard action to earn a deserved draw. Manchester United 2004–05 football season, Although they failed to qualify for the Champions League as one of the top four English clubs, Liverpool were given a special dispensation to compete as the, 2004–05 UEFA Champions League qualifying rounds § Third qualifying round, 2004–05 UEFA Champions League group stage, 2004–05 UEFA Champions League knockout stage, "Lewandowski top scorer in Champions League group stage",–05_Manchester_United_F.C._season&oldid=979140698, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 19 September 2020, at 01:26. Van Nistelrooy got the opener when he stroked in a contentious penalty after Sol Campbell's challenge on Wayne Rooney. With the win over the Saints, United got a fourth consecutive victory in the FA Premier League. In the semi-finals, United were drawn against another Premier League side Chelsea. The game ended 1–1. Eleven days after the match with Spurs, Manchester United travelled to Anfield to face their rivals Liverpool. Minutes before the final whistle, Spurs should have taken the lead after Pedro Mendes' effort from the halfway line was spilled into the goal by an out-of-position Roy Carroll. United on The win pushed United up to 2nd in the FA Premier League table, their highest position in the 2004–05 season so far. After a 3–1 win over Aston Villa at Old Trafford, United travelled to Highbury to face Arsenal on 1 February. [2] Boca Juniors – who were beating PSV 1–0 on the day, before the abandonment of their match – won the tournament on a points system that awarded an extra point for each goal scored, bolstered by their 5–2 win against Urawa Red Diamonds a few days prior.[3]. Arsenal's best chance saw Tim Howard beat out Jermaine Pennant's free-kick. On 4 January, United hosted Tottenham Hotspur in a goalless draw. He rifled in a second from 20 yards out and scored a second-half free-kick. United deserved their victory, despite having Wes Brown sent off for two bookable offences after 64 minutes. Manchester United played at home to their rivals Manchester City on 7 November 2004. พินของคุณเองใน Pinterest But Liam Miller converted David Bellion's pass, Stephen Foster put the ball into his own net and United easily held on to ease into the next round. Ashley Cole's cross deflected in off Mikaël Silvestre for Arsenal's winning third goal. Wayne Rooney then brilliantly lobbed Mark Schwarzer from fully 40 yards after 67 minutes to double United's lead, before firing home a stunning volley with nine minutes left. Ryan Giggs' left-foot strike in the 41st minute was enough to separate the teams after an entertaining encounter. Danny Granville poked in an effort to equalise before United's Alan Smith and rival Joonas Kolkka traded headers to leave the match poised at 2-2. Wayne Rooney equalised in the 57th minute with a superb volley hit with the outside of his right foot, drawing gasps from the Old Trafford crowd. After the break, Tim Howard saved from Jiří Jarošík, while Carlo Cudicini pushed away Wayne Rooney's header. Manchester United ended 2004 with a 1–0 away win over Aston Villa on 28 December. Louis Saha opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, his first goal in the 2004–05 season. United advanced to the semi-finals of the FA Cup with a 4–0 away win against Southampton. Ryan Giggs scored after just 10 minutes showing exemplary technique to steer the ball into the corner of the net. Wayne Rooney met Gary Neville's cross to the near post with a low shot, which went in via a deflection off Richard Dunne, to put United ahead. European football squads since 1999. Tiago produced a wonderful equaliser, surprising Roy Carroll with an arcing shot, while his pass set up Eiður Guðjohnsen, who dinked in the second. Manchester United opened their Premier League campaign with an away game against Chelsea on 15 August 2004. United wasted a host of chances to make it safe as Jones made some great saves, but Wayne Rooney put the tie beyond doubt late on with a cool finish. The Baggies levelled after 61 minutes from Robert Earnshaw's penalty after John O'Shea fouled Geoff Horsfield. Rooney received a hostile reception, but goals in each half from Quinton Fortune and Cristiano Ronaldo silenced the jeers at Goodison Park. Mahamadou Diarra equalised for the visitors shortly before the break, but an eighth goal of the group stage for Van Nistelrooy secured victory and qualification for the knockout phase. A hat-trick from Tuncay gave United their first defeat of the Champions League season, and combined with Lyon's 5–0 win over Sparta Prague, it meant United finished in second place in the group, to be paired with a group winner in the draw for the first knockout round.[6]. However Richardson enjoyed an element of luck, Palace keeper Julián Speroni letting the shot bounce under his body. The game took place on 26 October 2004. The draw for the FA Cup third round took place on 9 December 2005, and Manchester United were given a home tie with Conference National side Exeter City.